How to Survive a Bridal Show
Now that your “we’re engaged” Instagram post loves have slowed down, now is the time to start thinking about the questions in your comment feed…
When is your wedding date?
Where are you getting married?
Can I bring my cousin’s best friend’s babysitter?
Inspiration vs. Action
Blogs and magazines can help inspire your wedding colors and overall decor, but when it’s time to take action and start booking vendors, there are two paths to take.
First is to clear your calendar for a chunk of days, email dozens of vendors for their availability and book individual appointments with the vendors you found online and drive all over town to meet with them. Or, you can attend a Bridal Show and interact with hundreds of vendors in one location for only a couple of hours. Seems like a no-brainer huh?
Now, Bridal Shows are known for being incredibly informative and a bit overwhelming. Thousands of couples attend shows like these annually in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
After being a customer and a vendor in Bridal Shows for the past 5 years, I’ve collected a few survival tips to help you get the most out of it and keep your sanity.
Bridal Show Survival Tips
1. Dress comfy and cute! Show your personality! Vendors are people too and if you’re rocking a cute pair of Kendra Scott earrings or a graphic tee of your fave band, you’ll strike up conversations that don’t start with “so… what’s your wedding budget?”
2. Bring your fiance + 1! A Bridal Show is the place to meet vendors and make decisions. Having your fiance’s vote keeps you from digging through a pile of flyers and business cards later. Your + 1 can be another decision maker, like a parent. Since many vendors offer discounts for booking the day of or the week of the show, you’ll get the best price by being ready to make a decision on the spot.
3. Print your contact and wedding info on address labels! Some shows offer this service for a small fee, but if you like to plan ahead, go for it! Be sure to include the following: your full name, your fiance’s full name, wedding date, phone number, email address, and mailing address.
4. Take photos of the offer flyers you like most! If you adore the decor of that vendor’s booth, take a photo of that too (if the vendor doesn’t mind)! Your goodie bag does serve as your shopping cart, and when you’re ready to leave, a large collection of vendor info will be in tow. Taking photos makes it easier to sort through the vendors you connect with or want to learn more about.
5. Take notes! Rank your top 3 choices per category based on what’s important to you, such as their energy level, pricing, design ability, and wow factor (just to name a few). A pen and paper works dandy, but if your cell phone battery can handle it, a note taking app does wonders too. Choosing your top 3 while you’re at the show saves time later in case your #1 choice isn’t available.
6. Eat something! Prepare yourself and your entourage to be walking and talking for at least 2 hours straight. Being hangry the whole time won’t make for a positive experience.
7. Know your schedule! Be prepared to book appointments on the spot with your top 3 vendors in each category you’re looking for. If you’re not ready to make a decision at the show, booking an appointment could allow you to keep the discount if you decide you want to move forward after doing more research.
Now that you’re armed and ready, if you’re near Dallas, I invite you to experience one for yourself! Come visit us at the Dallas Bridal Show on Saturday, July 29th and Sunday, July 30th from 10am to 5pm at Dallas Market Hall. When you get your tickets online, use Promo Code SENSCHICWED to save $1 off admission.